Thursday, January 24, 2013

Today's Experiment: Sticky Buns

So I had an idea last night as I was craving something sweet.  Why not use canned biscuits to make sticky buns.  So today I decided to make this happen and try it out.  It met with mixed success.  I went to the trust Betty Crocker cookbook that my mother used forever and gave to me when I moved into my first home.  I used the basic "sticky" part of the recipe and adjusted the rest.  I did fine til I baked them.  The butter in the bottom of the muffin tins bubbled up around the dough and ran all over the bottom of the oven and pretty much smoked me out of my house.  So here I sit with all the windows open the coldest day of the year.  Oh well.  BUT here is the good part they came out fairly well.  They look nice and taste pretty good.  The revision I will make is to melt the butter and brown sugar together THEN put in the bottom of the pan.  I think also were I went wrong was I used extra buttery biscuits with the little chunks of butter in them and that may also have helped the butter dripping catastrophe.  Here is the recipe as I have tried it along with pics.  Let me know if you come up with other hints for me to perfect this.

Quick Sticky Buns:

16 tsp butter
16 tsp brown sugar
1 8 count can of biscuits.
8 tsp of cinnamon sugar mix
pecans

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place 2 tsp each of butter and brown sugar in the bottom of 8 muffin cups. Place pans in the oven to melt butter and sugar together.  Roll out each biscuit a little and sprinkle with 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mix.  Roll up like a burrito cut each log in thirds.  When butter and sugar is melted remove pans from oven.  Sprinkle in as many pecans as you like.  Top with three pieces of roll biscuit.  Press down lightly.  Bake 15-17 mins until golden brown.  Let set one to two mins then turn out onto cookie sheet or platter.  Enjoy

 

 

1 comment: