Friday, March 8, 2013

Perfect Popcorn


I know it has been forever since I last made an entry but life has been packed and unpacked in my world.  I have to say though that my new environment is very cooking friendly.  I can sit at the dining room table and write as I tend to my creations.  So here is the latest and as all good recipes begin my mother sent it to me.  I made some on a cool night when I needed a little remembrance hug, so to speak.  My mother sent me an Oven Caramel Corn wonder.  This recipe is so simple, a little more time than usual, but tremendous results.  So without further build up lets get to the goods.

Oven Caramel Corn

2- 2.9 oz bags of Microwave popcorn, popped no kernels
1 Cup Brown sugar, packed
½ Cup Butter or Oleo
¼ Cup Corn Syrup
½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Baking Soda

Heat oven to 200 Degrees
Place one bag of popcorn on a cookie sheet (not greased). Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in 2 qt sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.  Make sure to boil the whole 5 minutes no cheating.  Take off heat and add Baking Soda and stir quickly, be careful this will foam up quiet a bit. Work rather quickly and pour over popcorn, stir to coat.  Bake in oven for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.  I rotated pans top to bottom after 30 minutes.  The goal is to coat all the popcorn with the caramel.  After 1 hour pull from oven stir one more time.  Allow to cool, break apart and eat.  IF there is any left store in an air tight container.


I hope this brings back wonderful memories for you as well thoughts of county fairs, Christmas time, Halloween (for those old enough to get caramel popcorn balls homemade on Trick or Treat adventures), and anything in between.  I have to go now I still have some more caramel corn to eat….I mean test.

1 comment: